2023 Doug King Memorial
Thank you for your interest in the 2023 Doug King Memorial organized by, 22836 Ventura Blvd #2 Woodland Hills, CA 91364.
You only need to register your information once and can return to this site to enter more brews or edit the brews you've entered. You can even pay your entry fees online if you wish.
Judge and Steward Registration is Open
If you have not registered and are willing to be a volunteer, please register.
If you have registered, log in and then choose Edit Account from the My Account menu indicated by the icon on the top menu.
2023 DKM Homebrew Competition Rules
1. The Maltose Falcons Mayfaire is an BJCP-sanctioned homebrew competition open to all homebrewers.
2. An entry is a set of Two (2) bottles or cans from a single batch of beer, cider or mead. The bottles must be made of clear, green or brown glass, and be free from labels, excessive dirt and identifying marks. All bottles must be filled within an inch and a half of the top, and be capped with a metal crown cap. The caps must be plain colored, or be completely blacked out with a black permanent marker. Swing-type caps are not permitted. All bottles must be between 10 and 16 ounces in volume. An entry that excessively gushes from more than one bottle may be disqualified at the judges' discretion.
3. An entry may not be brewed, fermented or bottled using commercial equipment.
4. An entrant is the one or more people submitting an entry. Member(s) of an entrant must have actively contributed to brewing, fermenting, and bottling an entry. Every member must be at least 21 years of age. An entrant may not be an entire brew club. Competition staff, judges and stewards are permitted to be entrants. Professional Brewers are permitted to be entrants as long as the entry was not brewed on commercial equipment
5. The official style guidelines for this competition are the 2015 BJCP guidelines.
6. No member of an entrant may submit another entry of the same subcategory, whether as an individual entrant, a member of the same entrant, or a member of another entrant.
7. Every entry must be submitted with a bottle identification label attached to each bottle with a rubber band. Using glue or tape to secure the labels to the bottles will disqualify an entry. Bottle labels for a single entry must have the same information on both bottles.
8. The entry form must list the following information for entries in the categories specified:
· For the Specialty class: The entrant must specify the underlying beer style as well as the unusual nature of the beer. (e.g. Raspberry Bourbon Barrel Stout, "I made this with rain water") For more accurate judging the user should specify the underlying classic style used for the brew.
· For all classes : The entrant must specify the underlying beer style.
9. Entries must be registered online via the competition web site at http://competitions.maltosefalcons.com/2023DKM. Online registration eliminates the need to fill out a paper entry form and will automatically generate bottle identification labels. Email confirmation will be provided as well. In case the entrant is unable to print the custom labels, it is acceptable for the brewer to make individual slips with the same information, including the registration number for the entry.
10. The entry fee is $12.00 for each entry. All Entries must be paid on-line via credit card or PayPal.
11. A panel of at least two judges will judge each entry according to the category in which it was entered. No judge will be assigned to a category for which they are entrants. First, second, and third prizes may be awarded in each category at the judge's discretion. Classes will NOT be collapsed with other classes for judging purposes. If a subcategory is deemed sufficiently large by the organizers, it may be promoted to being a separate class. All contestants will receive the score sheets with judges' comments for their entries.
12. Entries will be accepted at the drop off sites from Dec 27, 2022 thru COB Jan 13, 2023. All entries become the property of the Maltose Falcons and will not be returned. Any questions or disputes will be settled by the competition organizers, and all decisions are final.
Styles for the Maltose Falcons Doug King Memorial Competition 2023
Each of the Competition Categories will include several BJCP Categories. Judges will judge the beers using the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines. The category number refers to the BJCP category. Not all of the BJCP sub-categories will be included in the competition, please ask the organizers if you have a beer you aren’t sure about.
I. Class 1 Standard American Beer
1B. American Pale Lager
1C Cream Ale
1D American Wheat Ale
27 Historical Beer--Pre-Prohibition Lager
2. Class 2 European Pale Beers
3A Czech Pale Lager
3B Czech Premium Pale Lager
4A Munich Helles
4C Helles Bock
5C Dortmunder Export
5D German Pils
3. Class 3 Amber and Dark European Beers
3D Czech Dark Lager
7A Vienna Lager
8A Munich Dunkel
4. Class 4 Strong European Beer
4C Helles Bock
6C Traditional Bock
9C Baltic Porter
5. Class 5 Smoked and Wood Aged Beer
The brewer MUST list the beer style entered and whatever kinds of wood was used to smoke or age the beer in. If spirits are used, the brewer MUST list the spirit. The spirit should just flavor the wood, it shouldn’t be a prominent flavor in the beer. This is a beer contest.
32B Specialty Smoked Beer
33A Wood-Aged Beer
33B Specialty Wood Aged Beer
6. Class 6 Specialty Beer
31A Alternative Grain Beer
31B Alternative Sugar Beer
34A Clone Beer
34B Mixed Style Beer
34C Experimental Beer
29A Fruit Beer
29B Fruit and Spice Beer
29C Specialty Fruit Beer
7. Class 7 Session Anything
The brewer can enter any style wanted, but the OG should be below 1.040. If the beer is a classic BJCP style such as 11A Ordinary Bitter, no further description is needed. But if the beer is a “light” version of a beer style that normally is bigger, the brewer MUST name the style. For example one could enter a low gravity American Pale Ale, the brewer must mention that and the judges will judge it as a light 18B.
8. Class 8 Imperial Anything.
The brewer can enter any style wanted, but the OG should be above 1.070 If the beer is a classic BJCP style such as 26C Belgian Tripel, no further description is needed. But if the beer is a “big” or “imperial” version of a beer style that normally is bigger, the brewer MUST name the style. For example one could enter an Imperial Pilsner, the brewer must mention that and the judges will judge it as a big 5D German Pils or 3B Czech Pilsner..
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via Contact.
- Ed Kochanowski — Competition Director
Maltose Falcons Homebrewing Society is proud to have the following sponsors for the 2023 Doug King Memorial.